Saturday, January 5, 2008

Valdomene Butler (Val) loc'd since August 1999


Introducing Val..... this is the other sister at my church who was the 1st set of SL's I had ever seen. I knew there was something different about her locs and it was always so neat and well maintained. Val and I sing in the choir together, she is a Soprano and I am an alto. The way we sit for practice always places me behind her so I was always staring at her locs and asking her questions. At that time I never thought about locking my hair but I new if I did, I wanted them small. She never told me they had a "name" She just said she knew she wanted them small. It was not until my girlfriend Renee (in previous pics)was lamenting about what to do with her hair that I told her about Val and how different her locs looked, that is when we started searching the web for "small locs" and such. Lo and behold we came across the sisterlock site and the rest is history.
Val is a sharp young lady and to this day is my SL idol. She got to church later than me today so was not around when Jacinth, Daena and I took pics but as soon as I saw her I grabbed her and asked her permission. She graciously said yes and I thank her. I am so happy to be a part of the Seventh Day Adventist Church that I belong to. The women are open and willing to share. We have so many ladies that are wearing their hair natural and traditionally locked. We are embracing our heritage and what God gave us naturally. I am loving the journey and being able to share it with others is so fulfilling. I just wanted to share with the rest of you ladies some of the beauty that I am surrounded by every Sabbath that I attend church.

3 comments:

Maryee said...

Beautiful! Nothing like lock idols! Her locks rock! Thanks for sharing your church members' lovely loc pics. Looking good,all of ya'll!!

Abena Abena said...

I know it is a little late, but welcome to the Sisterlock Family :)

BTW- what a nice testimony :)
Abena

Wendi aka "Wendosa" said...

Thanx for the welcome shout out. Just trying to share the experience. All the women are so beautiful and unique on these sights, I figure it's not just all about me.