Wednesday, February 6, 2008

I Finally Washed My Hair

Okay, so in a few of my other posts, I admitted that I was afraid to wash my own hair due to anxiety with this braiding and banding procedure. Well, last friday, I had no choice but to tackle it. After all, it had been too many weeks and I was beginning to feel ashamed.

I decided early on to set it on smooth curlers to see what effect I would get. I loosely braided my hair in sections and banded the ends as instructed. I was using the knotty boy soap bar for the first time so I wet the bar and my hair and attempted to rub the bar into my hair to get some good lather going. To my disappointment, there wasn't much lathering going on at all. Trying to scrub and lather when your hair is all twisted up is and was almost impossible for me. I had my girlfriend on speakerphone while I made my feeble attempt and I was getting more and more frustrated. I wound up undoing my hair and going for it! I saturated my head with water and proceeded to wash it like I would have with it out. That totally worked for me. I am now joining the group of "I don't braid and band and never will" women. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Meanwhile, after washing and not having any slippage, I proceeded to roll it up on my smooth green and yellow curlers that I had originally given to my girlfriend and like an indian giver asked for them back. (thank God for friends that understand you) The set was fabulous but when I was done, I looked in the mirror at all of these rollers and realized that I was NOT going to sleep in them nor did I feel like sitting under the dryer for it was now going on 10pm. So what did I do you ask??? I took out each roller and replaced it with a sponge roller that I new I could sleep on. ( I never gave those away) My hair had already started to dry to my surprise so I figured I could get away with the overnite hair dry thing. You may be asking why I didn't use those in the first place?? I have several answers for that but they are all stupid so I will spare you. The bottom line is that it's done and the next morning it came out quite nice, tight but nice. I worked with it trying to get ready for church. My DH was being consecrated as an Elder that day at church so it was a truly special day. We had a lot going on and never got to take any pics of the do after all of that! Oh well, it was his day, not mine so it's all good. Just know that when I came to work on the following Monday, my co-worker and fellow sisterlocked friend called me Little Orphan Annie... I will leave the rest to your imagination.

No comments: