Tuesday, March 25, 2008

I'm Back and Have Plenty to Say/ Sisterloc Nitemare

Hello All,
It's been over almost 2 months and a lot has occured. I think my last post was in early Feb and at that time, my girlfriend's father was battling lung cancer and lost the battle on Feb. 7th. I stayed pretty close to her during that awful time and blogging went way down on the list of priorities. In addition to that, another girlfriend's mother was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer as well and it was completely unexpected and a shock to all. The doctors have given her 6 months to live and it was just a devastating blow. She is now caring for her mom full time and preparing for her life to end. It's just that simple. You live and then you die. Gives you much to ponder on, those of us who still take life for granted. The dynamics of my relationships with people have changed just over the course of these last 2 months and I am trying to cope with all of it.

I have a unique group of friends that I am very close to and as I stated when I was tagged, I am loyal almost to a fault. I try to treat people as I would like to be treated but that is not always healthy for me. I absorb other's grief and issues and I feel very deeply. As a result, I neglect the things in my life because I am so engrossed in everyone elses. Don't get me wrong, I am probably fulfilling some sick need I have to be needed by others. (that's another story) When I say neglect, I really mean that it gives me reason not to deal with my own issues that face me every day. Oh well, I figure when I go outta here, folk may just have some nice things to say......
I digress..

Now on to the drama at hand. It kills me to say this but I have taken down my sisterlocks. This occured on Thurs and Fri of last week. Long story, wanna hear it? Here it go:
You have seen pics of my friend Daena. Well, she started to have some real issues with her locs and wound up cutting them off and having them re-installed about 4 to 5 weeks ago. This was quite stressful and needless to say, very expensive and time consuming but I will tell you that the new set looks totally different and she is very happy now. Meanwhile, I had a banquet to attend on March 2 and I was chomping at the bit trying to figure out how to style my hair with the fabulous gown I purchased. I was happy about the gown because I am overweight and had finally found something that camaflouged my big-ness. I wanted an up-do. I go to a shop where I used to get my hair done with extensions and the loctician that styles there was exploring my hair and the first question she asked me was "who installed your locs?" I immediately cringed and became annoyed with the way she asked. I proceeded to tell her who and she went on to tell me what was wrong. Mind you, I had already figured that there were some issues but now they were being confirmed. My parts (or lack of parts) were not in a pattern. It was like hair had just been grabbed and a loc formed. The new growth was meshing together and it was hard for me to seperate the hair. I was also able to literally stick my finger in the middle of most of my locs because the hair was so loose. Now, to the naked eye, my hair looked fabulous but for one who was lurking thru it, the truth came out. Needless to say, I was sick.
My next step was to go to another sisterlock consultant to get a second opinion and lo and behold, she said the same thing. I did NOT have the true sisterlock pattern blah, blah, blah. I must interject that as I am writing this, i am finding it difficult to even write about it because it has truly been horrible. I really did like my hair and the way it looked but deep down, I knew it wasn't right and I had to face that fact and make a decision. I went to the original girl that did the initial consultation but couldn't get me in as fast as I wanted. (See Zaharah's blog titled "look before you leap") She gave me a couple of options. She told me she could fix the loose locs by doing a technique called a "pull down" but even with that I would still have jacked up parts or I could just take them out and start all over. Well, what a choice right?? I made an appt with her because my original consultant was recovering from surgery. I haven't had the chance to really speak with her about all of this. I had about 2 weeks to think about it. My appt was last Thurs at 9 am and when I got there I still had not made a decision. After an hour of going back and forth. I decided to take them out. I sat there for 8 hours and had several mini breakdowns. Daena came and held my hand as she had just gone thru it herself. After 8 long hours only about less than half were out and she used her tool to do it. I went home and from about 7p to 3 am only managed to get about 1/4 of it out. That was with the help of my girlfriend Regina aka "gettin hot" who graciously offered her services at about 10pm. She came over and really worked on my head and allowed me to rest for as she so bluntly put it " What's the point in having friends if they can't do sugar honey iced tea for ya" that was at abput 1am when I could barely raise my arm anymore and she suggested I just lay down and let her work. I love you for that Gina!!! You are the girl. I proceeded to go back to the consultant for another 5 hours on Friday and she managed to get it all out. Mind you, I paid her by the hour!!! You do the math.
I then went to my old hairdresser and she blew it out, combed it and trimmed or should I say cut it for you can imagine that I lost quite a bit of hair after not combing it for 3 months. Today would have been my 14 week mark. I still can't believe it. I am sitting here with an AFRO puff as I type and I am still trying to figure out what just happened.
End Result: I will be having them re-installed at the end of the week by the consultant's consultant who if flying in from Jamaica. Her name is Natalie and she is supposed to be really good. She did Daena's second set and it looks great, parts and all. I'm not sure how I feel. I think I am just numb and broke of course. I go for my "consultation" on Thurs and she starts on Friday. I will post pics sometime this week. This has truly been an experience and I just want it to be over.
I will say that I am still a diehard sisterloc girl and I am determined to be done correctly. I will not bash anyone, all I will say is truly do your homework and if you want it done right, stick with the certified consultants and make sure you SEE the work and look for the right things. I will talk more about that later.......

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh. What an awful ordeal. I'm going to spend the next year doing my research. It would help a little more if there was more information about the process because what I've found only peaks my interests rather than answers my questions.

Anonymous said...

Hi Wendi, I'm so sorry to read about your experience. You are so right when you inform people to do their research about sistlerlocks and more importantly, the consultants you consider to do your hair. I nearly had an ill-experience with a "trainee". Fortunately, the truth came out about a week before my installation. Anyway, I'm so glad that you have finally found the right consultant for you whom you trust. Just imagine how beautiful your hair is going to be when they are done in the appropiate manner that their suppose to be-not to mention your peace of mind-it's more important than anything.

Kelly-nashville, tn

Vixen said...

Oh girl, my heart was aching reading your post. It's a shame that there are people out there doing bad service just to get paid and you were the victim here. If your first consultant was certified be sure to call the home office to let them know what's going on so they can give her some "coaching".

God has been good to get you through these last few months and know that there is nothing wrong with needing to feel needed. Doing for others gives us a sense of purpose and there's nothing wrong with that. Sounds like you have great friends that you can rely on and that is really hard to find.

Best of luck on your new set of locks. From the sounds of it, you've found the right person to do the work now and will be much happier in the end.

z said...

I went through an even worse ordeal and documented it. Read mine: http://kalia-dewdrop.blogspot.com/search/label/Fake%20sls
(or go to my blog and click Fake SLs on the left side). I had to take mine down and get them redone by someone else and now i'm much happier.

Tina said...

All I can say is wow. You've really been through something. I hope your next set is done properly and I'm sorry you had to go through this.

CarmenNC said...

Oh wow. I'm sorry. You know I took mine down. I went back to your Top Portion post and blew up the post because I didn't believe you at first when you said it looked like she just grabbed sections and started locking. WOW. After blowing it up, I can't find ANY kind of pattern. Some consultants stick to the SL pattern taught and others do a partings based on what styles their client likes - I am trying to master that now. I find doing the straight back parts easy, but lining them up from side to side or ear to ear is TRICKY. Your back section looked nice, but the front seemed a bit off looking. The locks looked great though.

Wendi aka "Wendosa" said...

Thanx Ladies,
I really appreciate all of your comments. I am trying to keep my head up but the more I look at this afro puff on my head, the more depressed I get. How do I really know if the next set will be right. I have been looking at so many blogs and reading about other's SL nitemares that I am just confused. I love the concept but am no so leary about the the process. My consultant was a "trainee" who has been in business for years and didn't feel like she needed to become certified. At the time I didn't really have a full understanding of what it meant to be certified and I had seen her work. I didn't know I needed to go thru the persons head and look for a grid. I just new that her locs were beautiful and I wanted to look like her!! Go figure..... I did like the way my hair "looked" but the future was just too uncertain. I just hope this next set is right.

Lakia said...

Oh my! A lot has happened. I am glad that you are getting your locks back. Finding the right person can be so hard. My consultant lives about 70 miles from me, but is about 5 miles from my job. But her work is fabulous and she is very professional. You mentioned that the new lady that will do your installation is comming in from Jamaica... have you found someone who will maintain your new locks?

z said...

I'm glad that you will be getting your locks redone. Yes, it's disappointing to loose some money on wasted locks and time but in the end having what you want is what really matters. I told my inexperienced trainee that I preferred to go to someone who followed the SL pattern and griding because she clearly stated that she didn't believe in it, yet wanted to do her own thing for the same price. Ridiculous. I have 450+ now which is perfect since my hair is thick and dense (this is my 3rd set but I only documented the last 2). I had micros w/ my first set 650+ and I there were too many on my head. Good luck to you and keep us updated.

Wendi aka "Wendosa" said...

Thanx again Dewdrop! My trainee said the same thing. She felt that she didn't need to be certified because she is a licensed cosmetologist and has been in business forever. I am finding that there are a lot of people who take the class to learn the technique and then they put their own spin on it. That seemed okay to me at the time but now I realize that it was not okay and to my detriment. I freely gave her my money knowing that she did not buy into the whole concept. I guess I just convinced myself that that was okay. Again, they looked good to the naked eye but when you went up in them you could clearly see the issues. Being able to literally stick my fingers thru them midway was definately not a good thing. I knew that was crazy and the parting, well there were none and that is what must have given me a lot of fullness and I liked that. I just know now that I have to have just as many put back in. I got myself into this and now I have to get myself out!

Taz said...

WOW what an ordeal! I know your fingers gotta be sore! but it could be a lot worse :( glad you realize the "costly" mistake early in the locking process, just focus on the POSITIVE, your blessed to have a TRUE friend in the trenches with you, be mindful they are a rare find, what is done is done think about the new BEAUTIFUL set of babies your about to birth they are going to be AWESOME!

Kwasmrs said...

I am so sorry to hear about all of this. Please know that it is a huge decision to lock your hair and it will only give you comfort when you know that it was done right. I will also be praying for you as you have had a lot going on with the people close to you. I know how much that can weigh on a person. Take care!

Amina said...

Wendi! Wow, I check in on you and I read this?!?!?! Don't worry, Natalie is GOOD PEOPLE and she will make it up for ya right nice! Claire's hair is a testimony. Ask them to show you her micros from when she (Natalie) first got started...she's in the SL book...literally.

I know it's been horrible thus far, but as you know, I had a horrible start story too, and it does get better. I'm sooo glad I got Claire, she's the only one I ever called and got a consultation with. And she's fast and knowledgeable...and most of all, installs SLs the right way!

Good luck and keep us posted!

Allecia said...

So sorry to hear that things turned out this way (but your hair did look fabulous!). Hopefully all will go well at your upcoming installation.

Salt-n-Pepper Diva said...

So much on your plate over the last few months, you got through some really tough times with friends, which I am sure they love you for!

Sorry to hear about your loc's mishap ( to put it mildly), but you know what is right and what isn't.

Be strong and be resilient, I am going to pray that everything works out.

NappTown said...

Wow! What a thing to have to go threw. Just keep your head up. Good news is.....your locks looked damn good before. Can you imagine how they will look now that you are getting them correctly installed. Stay encouraged :-)

Docs Locs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Docs Locs said...

I'm so sorry. What can I say? It's good you have a friend who can truly empathize. You are serious about getting them installed correctly if you're seeing a consultant who will be traveling internationally! I know you and your friend will find the perfect consultant - locally - for future maintenance!

Anonymous said...

Oh Wendi I'm so sorry that happened to you! When I read about your consultant not completing the lock all the way to the top during installation I thought that was a little suspect! You should have this woman return your money for an improper job! also if you got her info from the sisterlocks website you should report her to the home office!

~jaiDalon~ said...

That's terrible. Your locks actually looked really nice other than the parts not being a perfect grid. You said yourself that you weren't sure if the perfect parts mattered that much to you. If you felt you were wronged you could have demanded your money back then KEPT the locks. OR, see if you can have her refund your cash AND redo them properly. Why should you have to pay twice for something that should have been done right the first time?

Tam said...

Sorry to hear that you had to go through that...I am new to the sisterlock world. I just got mine installed on Jan 15,2008 in Seattle. Check out my blog at www.dazzlingintheglow.blogspot.com.

Tam

Naturally Sophia said...

I am truly sorry for the heartarche and head ache this caused you. I am catching up on your posts now that I have missed.

Unknown said...

I was so inspired to read your blog today, I couldn't get my work done - by clicking back and forth. I feel that I learned alot more about SL. They look so beautiful on you. From you, I will certainly do much research before I get mine.

Again, the pictures were beautiful.